By Kingfisher Visitor Guides
Legendary veterinarian and author James Herriot is beloved worldwide for his timeless accounts of the years he spent working with animals in the beautiful Yorkshire Dales. Now you can discover where it all began at the World of James Herriot…
The World’s Most Famous Vet
At the heart of a small but charming market town in North Yorkshire, you’ll find the award-winning World of James Herriot.
The original house and practice in Thirsk belonging to the world’s most famous vet is now home to a thriving visitor attraction, dedicated to sharing his life and work with the world.
All Creatures Great and Small
Throughout a career spanning 50 years, James Alfred ‘Alf’ Wight cared for thousands of animals and wrote eight incredibly successful books based on his experiences as a vet under the pen name ‘James Herriot’.
Known as the original Yorkshire Vet, his work has been the subject of both film and television, and now The World of James Herriot offers visitors a peek into the life of the great man.
Fun for all the family
Travel back in time to see what life was like for a vet in the mid-20th century, step onto a TV set, and even have a go at being a vet yourself!
The family attraction is sure to delight adults and children of all ages with its variety of entertaining and engaging activities, including:
· James’s restored 1940s home and surgery
· A recreation of the TV studios used to film one of the many series about his life
· An interactive gallery
· Veterinary Science Rooms full of fascinating information about veterinary practice
· An extensive collection of memorabilia
· The actual Austin Seven cars used in the television series
· Beautiful gardens
· The Farrier’s Workshop, full of tools the vet would have used to care for animals all over the Dales.
· The Foldyard, which provides the perfect backdrop to screen a short film about Alf’s life.
23 Kirkgate, Thirsk YO7 1PL
Tel: 01845 524234
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram